Main Purpose of the job:
To manage construction projects, with the aim of achieving profitable, prompt accurate delivery. The Contracts Manager has overall responsibility for leading the project team, communicating business and project objectives to all members of the team and ensuring Company procedures are followed. The role will be a mix of office and field based activities.
The post holder will:
1. Be responsible for the overall management and success of the project.
2. Plan, Manage and organise the management of the project in strict accordance with the
company Contracts Management Operating Manual.
3. Prepare the site planning and liaise with other construction professionals such as
architects, engineers, buyers, estimators and surveyors before construction work start.
4. Build a good working rapport with customer, contractors and key members of the supply
chain and ensure there is a good open dialogue throughout the project.
5. Look ahead and plans all aspects of the project, identifying potential challenges and
bringing imaginative and cost-effective solutions.
6. Prepare all job cards, Fabrication/material requisitions, design co-ordination, etc
required in accordance with the programme of works and/or progress on site, to ensure
that maximum efficiency is maintained.
7. Monitor progress against the programme and take action where necessary.
8. Produce information required schedules linked to the construction programme.
9. Provide technical and planning input to support tender submissions
10. Work closely with the QS to ensure project financial targets are met.
11. Record and report all areas of delay or disruption to the progress of the work and offer
the solution to mitigate delays and ensure costs liaise with Commercial departments to
aid recover of expenditure.
12. Carry out regular safety inspections of the site when work is underway and ensuring
regulations relating to health and safety and the environment are adhered to.
13. Set high personal safety and environmental standard and ensure Company procedures
are robustly applied
14. Oversee the running of several projects at one time.
15. Review all aspects of the project with the site team every month.
16. Plan resources and allocates them to the project as appropriate.
17. The post holder will also undertake any other duties as required.
18. Work closely with other Departmental Managers to ensure the smooth running of
19. Provide 2 and 4 weeks look ahead programmes for each project, noting materials,
fabrications and labour that will be required and present to Contracts Director for
coordination with other departments.
20. Attend pre-start meetings with clients and architects to discuss project-specific issues,
such as logistics, health and safety issues, site rules and programs.
21. Be responsible for managing respective Project Managers who deal with the day to day
running of projects.
22. Attend weekly Contract Review meetings with Contract Director to plan the week ahead.
23. Ensuring projects are built to specification, delivered on time and within budget
In addition to the above duties, all staff are required to:
a) Undertake appropriate training and staff development as required
b) Adhere to all company’s policies and procedures, including Equality and Diversity
and Health and Safety.
c) Respect confidentiality: all confidential information should be kept in confidence and
not released to unauthorised persons.
d) Participate in the company’s Performance Review and Development Scheme.
e) Adhere to Company’s environmental policy and guidelines and undertake tasks in a