Mechanical Design Engineer
£40,000 - £44,000/annum pension, bonus, medical
Mechanical Design Engineer in the Mechanical Engineering department
You will be responsible for generating design concepts in line with regulatory and customer requirements, engineering specification, international and military. It also requires the production of commercially viable product definition information (PDI) including 3D models, detail, and assembly engineering drawings.
Effective workload planning, generation of technical calculations and corresponding reports, design reviews and presentations is also required to support the development of the design. As is the necessity to work effectively with internal and external customers to achieve the optimum design through in-depth consultation with all project stakeholders.
Mentoring and training of junior personnel may also be required, depending on skills and experience.
- Producing top level design layouts from which detailed parts may be developed.
- Calling and chairing design reviews as required.
- Producing and maintaining engineering PDI in accordance with engineering procedures.
- Consulting extensively with associates and others, with a high degree of reliance placed on scientific interpretation and advice.
- Developing and maintaining cost and mass models for products.
- Producing and presenting design review presentations to internal and external customers.
- Produce a variety of detailed reports including e.g. CE marking technical files, load and stress reports.
- Checking engineering drawings for functionality and correctness and ensuring drawing complies with Engineering Drawing Best Practice.
- Produce quality 3D models, suitable for downstream consumption by CAM and CMM (Inspection) software.
- Generating a variety of engineering documents including reports, e.g. Mass Reports, Costed BOMs, DFMEAs etc.
- Supporting trial installations and take part in ‘voice of the customer’ visits.
- Conducting clearance and interchangeability analysis as required.
- Preparing retrofit and modifications designs.
- Producing, modifying, updating and up-revising engineering PDI in accordance engineering change procedures.
- Identifying opportunities for continual improvement in products and processes.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Mechanical Engineering Degree Accredited by IMechE.
- 1st or 2.1 Mechanical Engineering Degree is desirable
SPECIFIC / TECHNICAL SKILL
- An experience in design software including 3D CAD modelling.
- MS Office (suite of applications).
- Knowledge of finite element techniques.
- Experience of the following would be beneficial:
- NX and Teamcenter.
- ANSYS, Strand7, NX Nastran, LS Dyna.
- Multibody dynamics modelling tools such as ADAMS.
- TK Solver or MathCAD
- SAP ERP system.
- Internal design policies, processes and procedures.
- Attention to detail – thorough, accurate and concern for all the areas involved. Right First Time approach to design.
- Drive to achieve results - sets own standards, checks own work, and demonstrates a positive approach.
- Judgement and decision making - evaluates key decision-making criteria.
- Planning and organising work.
- Analysis and problem solving - sees basic relationships and reacts positively.
- Working collaboratively - actively contributes to achieve organisational objectives.
- Professional / technical expertise - uses technical and professional knowledge, skills and judgment effectively.
- Initiative – acts on various methods and strategies for solving problems and meeting objectives before being asked or required to do so.