£50,000 (Neg Doe)
Liquid Plastics, Polymers, Material Sciences, Waterproof Coatings & Adhesives
Our client’s Quality Department in Preston has an opportunity for a Quality Manager to join the team. This role will be responsible for the Quality departments within the group.
The Quality Manager will be responsible for managing a team that strives to continually uphold the company’s market-leading position in the development of high-quality products. You will contribute directly to ensuring the quality of these products, maintaining the standards and certifications that we have worked hard to achieve.
The business we are representing is a globally active specialty chemicals company offering a comprehensive range of products, across many constructions and associated sectors.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
To continually drive through improvement in all areas of the business using the latest data analysis tools and continual improvement techniques. Liaising with the Head of Quality to deliver the UK and corporate strategy at the local level. To monitor and measure all quality relevant aspects of the manufacturing process and ensure consistent and efficient production at the right quality level is maintained. To maintain product quality in line with ISO9001 requirements to ensure customer requirements are met. To assist with auditing as required at other sites within the UK, leading the team and delivering the UK strategy for Quality.
- Responsible for control of quality at all stages; raw materials through to finished product despatch, and longer-term monitoring. Setting and maintaining the site quality KPIs inline with UK targets and strategy.
- Project management - leading cross-functional groups and quality engineers to facilitate new processes and procedures. Driving through improvement via data analysis and trend monitoring, "lean" techniques leading to more efficient processes.
- Direct control of the QC staff, identifying learning and development needs. Ensuring adequate resources are available to maintain an efficient and effective quality operation.
- Troubleshooting, developing solutions to quality problems, control of corrective actions root cause analysis from customer complaints, non-conforming materials, and preventative actions on new products and processes.
- Group compliance with ISO9001, and relevant product certification and approvals. Process auditing; ISO9001, EHS, PCP.
- Responsible for development and maintenance of new quality processes through the SMS and evaluation of new and modified products through the PCP process.
- Formulation maintenance in liaison with Production and R&D to ensure electronic data is up to date. Scale up from lab to factory production with R&D.
- Focussing on both internal, and external customers where relevant, to maintain high levels of communication with timely feedback.
- Maintaining high standards of health and safety with a regular review via a risk assessment process.
- Hands-on test work to cover staff absence.
We Need Your Skills
To be successful in this role, we expect that you will have and be able to:
- Proven experience in managing teams within a chemical manufacturing environment with a chemistry qualification.
- Strong leadership in a professional motivational manner.
- Structured repeatable tools used to promote continuous improvement.
- Manage and report all KPIs and ensure visibility to all.
- Deliver the internal audit schedule and manage the auditors’ competence.
- Conduct PCP audits when necessary / host external auditors.
- Host the management review.
- Deliver continuous improvement to the business in all areas.
- Involve teams from relevant departments.
- Attend process meetings and develop internal data analysis to constantly monitor existing formulation and process performance.
- Raise quality alerts on a weekly basis by area.
- Be visible and interact with all areas.
- Batch testing is continuous with no bottleneck for operations.
Be proactive in managing near-miss reports, awareness, and compliance to all necessary EHS aspects.