A manufacturing company based in Harlow are currently recruiting for a Product Designer, these guys are constantly creating new innovative products and launch approximately 250 per year.
As a Product Designer you will create a range of consumer items in a range of materials and manufacturing methods. You will put together design proposals for projects and follow through from concept to manufacture.
Working in a team of 2 based onsite in a brand-new design room, you will be working on several different projects at any one time so a creative/design background and plenty of imagination and innovative ideas are key to your success.
The company in general are quite a tight knit group, the different departments work extremely well together to ensure they are constantly evolving and moving forward, after a record year last year they plan to continue this success by introducing new ranges continuously, this is where you come in.
Daily Responsibilities will be;
- Working on ideas as part of the development team or developing design concepts using CAD to establish the design brief, including the concept, performance, and production criteria
- Taking part in specialist or multidisciplinary team meetings
- Sketching initial design ideas
- Using the 3D printer to test ideas
- Identifying the suitability and availability of materials
- Producing detailed, final hand drawings and specifications or, more likely, using dedicated computer software to produce design specifications, including parts lists and costings
- Testing the design concept by computerised modelling or physical hands-on testing of models
- Researching materials, processes, or market requirements
- Arranging meetings and liaising with engineers and other departments, including marketing and commercial, to discuss and negotiate appropriate production processes, costs and commercial issues
- Occasional travel to the offices in China and Japan to assist in the development process as required
- Making presentations to senior management to present design proposals
- A Product Design Engineering or Industrial Design Engineering first degree with three years post-graduate experience in product design
- An impressive portfolio of innovative and creative work must be provided
- High degree of technical knowledge balanced with creative ability and a hands on approach
- Visual and spatial awareness
- Commercial awareness
- Proficiency in CAD
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Familiarity of CNC machining and injection moulding (capabilities and limitations)
- Knowledge of industrial processes, techniques, and standards
- Ability to copy under pressure of deadlines
Salary £35,000 - £45,000 negotiable for the successful candidate
Holidays, 25 days (3 for Christmas) plus Bank Holidays
Creative working environment