Senior Datawarehouse Engineer
Up to £85,000 (depending on skills and experience)
(Please note: You must have the right to work in the UK without sponsorship)
Based remotely but with its HQ in London, Orbitions client are the country’s most successful, commercial, media and publications company in the UK and Ireland.
With it’s national, regional & online brands reaching a staggering and incredible 47.9 MILLION people every month!
The companies core purpose and values surround being able to utilise it brand to serve community's by creating prominent champions, campaigners and change makers through its services.
Due to an incredible period of growth and development the company are looking to expand and grow its Data and Analytic's function and invite a Senior Datawarehouse Engineer to lead the design and implementation of an enterprise data warehouse (EDW).
Utilising Tableau as their visualisation platform, dashboards are sourced from data held within a customer data lake housed within AWS. Currently the business intelligence team uses queries built in Athena to create tables and views that support the dashboards within Tableau. Our client is looking to create an EDW to improve the reporting capability within the business intelligence team.
As the data lake already exists within the AWS suite of services, Redshift has been chosen as the platform to house the EDW.
There are multiple sources of data that are brought into the data lake via the Ingestion team.
Working closely with the Ingestion team and Data Architect, you will gain an understanding of the current data. This will feed into how the EDW will need to be configured in order to take advantage of MPP within Redshift amongst other features. The EDW alongside the data lake will be used to power reporting and analytics across the organisation. Due to the nature of the analytics and data science teams within the business, there is a requirement for data marts to be included in the design.
- You will be responsible for setting up the Redshift platform. In particular creating the correct clusters configuration for our data needs.
- You will own the maintenance and upkeep of the Redshift platform.
- Responsibility for technical security implementation, and enforcement of compliance and security guidelines within Redshift.
- Liaise with the Ingestion team engineers and Senior Data warehouse Engineer to help plan the data migration of data from the data lake (and other sources) to Redshift.
- Utilise your understanding of the architecture of the Redshift platform, in order to determine the correct approach to distribution styles and sort keys when creating tables.
- Lead on best practices for configuration, tuning, backup, archiving, disaster recovery and performance monitoring and maintenance of Redshift.
- This includes ensuring Vacuuming is done when having the least impact on the business.
- Use the monitoring console to monitor the cluster performance from both a query run time (tuning) and financial cost perspective.
- Work with the database modellers to create the necessary tables and views needed facilitate effective reporting within Tableau.
- Understand requirements from teams like data scientists or external analysts to create data marts to service their needs.
- Provide database support by coding utilities, responding to user questions, and resolving problems as they arise.
- You will be reading Entity Relationship Diagrams and Conceptual Data models.
You Must have
- 6+ years working with data warehouse’s in an architect or administrator role, ideally including roles in media companies or technology companies.
- MUST be strong with Redshift. Building new enterprise DW in Redshift from scratch.
- Extensive hands-on experience with the varied AWS services and knowledge of their limitations.
- Experience building pipelines and orchestration of workflows in an enterprise environment.
- Experience in optimizing the cost for service being utilised on AWS in particular Redshift.
- Thorough, in-depth knowledge of the AWS tooling landscape.
- Good database architecture knowledge specifically Redshift.
- Proven PostgresSQL experience (database and development skills).
- Proven with data management and governance in large scale with big data.
- Good understanding of batch data processing.
- Proficiency with Python.
- Experience with other programming and machine learning languages is a plus.
- Understanding of the Kimball methodology for data warehousing where and when to apply to take advantage of MPP Redshift.
- Good experience of CI/CD and AWS SAM.
- Expert knowledge and experience of OLAP, Data Mart and Data warehouse Data Models.
Salary up to £85,000 (depending on experience) and benefits including;
- 100% home based
- 25 days holiday
- Healthcare & Dental
- Contributory pension scheme
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Free wellbeing apps and coaching support
- Extensive high street discount