R&D Manager - Science and Process
Dependent on experience
We are currently looking for an R&D Manager to join a growing, and well financially backed start up based in the Cambridgeshire area, however the role will involve periodic travel overseas to US and Europe.
Back to Jobs
The company is seeking an experiencedResearch & Development Manager - Science & Processwith a background in industrial biochemistry / chemistry to coordinate and lead activity across its laboratory, pilot and scale-up process development activities, as well as analytical sciences team.
Our preferred candidate will have: i) a deep understanding of underpinning science with an aptitude for quickly picking up new technical concepts, ii) experience working across various commercial chemistry and / or biochemistry R&D functions from laboratory to manufacturing and iii) have simultaneously line managed several teams covering different technical disciplines.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Head of Research, your duties as the R&D Manager will be varied however the key duties and responsibilities are as follows:
1. Manage a growing internal team, currently seven scientists and engineers, and external service providers to meet the companys process industrialisation objectives.
2. Provide scientific and technical process support for both the site laboratories and pilot plant and be the key contact for external contract / toll manufacturers.
3. Lead the analytical services department to ensure samples are analysed and results reported efficiently and that the departments equipment and capability matches the companys needs. With senior team, lead on planning, design and execution of process related Research & Development projects.
4. Engage with industry experts on relevant topics and work alongside Food Ingredients, Clinical & Regulatory Affairs and Business Development teams to understand the strategic direction of your teams research.
5. Apply scientific principles to build knowledge of our end-to-end manufacturing process. Develop and implement new chemical and physical characterisation methods, processing techniques and product analyses.
6. Compile specifications and information for optimised unit operations and pro-actively look for potentially unforeseen process improvements.
7. Analyse & present the teams results both in writing and orally to update senior management.
8. Proactively contribute to the development of the companys Intellectual Property portfolio.
9. Ensure all work is performed in line with companys SHE policies and lead the development of the companys SHE practices for laboratories and pilot plant.
To be successful in your application to this exciting opportunity as the R&D Manager we are looking to identify the following on your profile and past history:
1. Relevant degree in a life sciences related sector, with a scientific and/or technical background. Deep understanding of process science and engineering principles. This experience will be gained working across various commercial chemistry and / or biochemistry R&D functions from laboratory to manufacturing and have simultaneously line managed several teams covering different technical disciplines.
2. Proven experience of effectively managing teams with strong project management & leadership skills. Ability to undertake multiple projects simultaneously to deliver against tight deadlines and to contribute both as part of a team and individually.
3. Passion for disruptive technologies, products and making a difference. Strong work ethic - prepared to put in extra hours when then are really needed.
Key Words: R&D Manager | Process | Engineering | Chemistry | Biochemistry
Hyper Recruitment Solutions Ltd (HRS) is an Equal Opportunities employer who are certified by Investors in People for talent development. We therefore welcome applications for any interested parties who fulfil the role requirements for this position. HRS is a company exclusively supporting the science and technology sectors, and is made up of a collaboration of recruitment professionals and scientists. We look forward to helping you with your next career moves.